Law Office of Daniel E. Forrest, P.A.

How does visitation and custody work for divorced couples?

When you have custody of your child or have retained visitation rights, there are certain rules that you and the other parent have to follow. If you try to withhold child support to get more time with your child or attempt to prevent your child from seeing his or her other parent, those acts could jeopardize your custody rights.

Who gets custody? How can a court decide?

When deciding who gets custody of a child, there are lots of things to consider. The child's best interests are the primary concern, so parents need to consider that first. For instance, if the child's mother is always available during the day and the father is available on weekends, then a custody arrangement that works with that schedule will give the child time with both parents when they aren't busy.

Florida parents: Child Support Enforcement doesn't do enough

Some parents are worried that they aren't getting enough child support and are frustrated with the Florida Child Support Enforcement Program. They claim that the program doesn't have the authority to do what it needs to do to get the money the parents need and deserve for their children. Some parent do find it difficult to pay the child support they owe. What can you do if a parent won't pay? You have to turn to the Child Support Enforcement Program. If the program doesn't have the authority to do what it needs to do, it is very difficult to get the funds that have been withheld from the custodial parent. The Florida Department of Revenue Child Support Program has collected over a billion dollars in current and past due child support in the last fiscal year, as of July 2017. The program states that it has a collection rate of 81.9 percent, but it still has over a billion dollars to go to make things right with some parents. What can be done to get results on cases that are long past due? The state agency says that it has enforcement tools. It can garnish a parent's wages. Driver's licenses may be suspended if child support is not paid. Extreme cases can result in a parent going to jail.

Woman flees with child and faces prison for parental kidnapping

A child custody dispute can be difficult to live with, especially if you're always concerned about your child being taken away by the other parent. No one should have to live that way, and the courts may order supervised visitation to make sure your child stays safe.

Man sentenced for taking daughter to Florida without custody

When a custody arrangement is in place, it's not legal to take your child away from the other parent without permission in most cases. You cannot flee the country or move without addressing custody-related concerns unless you have permission from the courts.

The Uniform Child Custody Act protects your court orders

You want to know that your child custody order is upheld no matter where you travel. If your ex takes your child out of state, you want to know no other court can reverse the decision of the judge in your home state. The Uniform Child Custody Act supports you in this regard.

2 children killed in DUI crash, father speaks out

When your child is in his mom's or dad's care, you want him to stay safe. Finding out that your ex got behind the wheel drunk with your child is a shocking revelation, and one that is sure to send you straight to your attorney over custody concerns. You have every right to want to protect your children, and cases like that deserve a second look from the courts.

Schedule My Consultation

Learn More About Your Legal
Options – Schedule an Initial

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy